Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin with U.S War Minister Pete Hegseth. Photo: Departement of War
Indonesia has not Made Any Air Traffic Clearance Commitments with the US
Fajar Nugraha • 20 May 2026 10:02
Jakarta: Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin stated that Indonesia has not made any commitments regarding air traffic access with the United States (US).
During a working meeting with Commission I of the Indonesian House of Representatives (DPR RI) at the parliamentary complex in Senayan, Jakarta, on Tuesday, the Minister stated that he signed a Letter of Intent for Overflight Clearance, not a letter of commitment.
"This is a letter of intent, not a letter of commitment. So, we are not making any commitments with the US regarding air traffic, no. We are upholding the constitution and we are upholding our national interests," he said as quoted from Antara, Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
Sjafrie said the letter of intent was signed in the US last April.
"The letter of intent, first, respects territorial integrity and sovereignty. Second, a mechanism and standing operating procedure are needed if we agree and are consistent with the laws of each country. This already exists; during training, if there are any injuries, we return them," he said.
Before defense legislators, Sjafrie recounted the request for permission to fly over Indonesian airspace made by US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth during a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of the ASEAN Defense Ministers Meeting (ADMM) Plus 2025.
According to Sjafrie, during the meeting, Hegseth initially expressed his support for the development of Indonesia's defense forces. Hegseth reportedly understood that Indonesia was not attempting an offensive, but merely defending itself if attacked.
Then, he continued, Hegseth requested that the US be allowed to fly over Indonesian airspace in the event of an urgent need.
"He said this, face to face, 'Mr. Defense Minister, is it permissible,' I consider this ethical, 'can the Americans fly over Indonesian airspace?' (That was) in 2025. 'Is it permissible to fly over Indonesian airspace if we want to fly over for certain urgent needs? However, we will follow the regulations you issue.' That was conveyed verbally to me," Sjafrie said.
The Defense Minister did not directly respond to the US Secretary of War's request.
"I replied, 'Minister, even though there is hope, I will report to my President because he is the supreme commander of the Indonesian National Armed Forces,'" Sjafrie said.
In the same meeting, Sjafrie mentioned that the US Secretary of War also requested Indonesia's assistance in locating and repatriating the remains of US soldiers killed during World War II on Morotai Island, North Maluku.
In February 2026, Hegseth sent his subordinates to meet with Sjafrie and brought a letter proposing permission to cross Indonesian airspace. Hegseth also invited Sjafrie to the US to discuss the proposal.
"Discuss, not decide. Then, the team discussed it. "Finally, last month I went to the US, and we signed a letter of intent, not a commitment," said Sjafrie.
He further stated that the Indonesian Ministry of Defense had not made any commitments regarding air traffic permits with the US. He also emphasized that his ministry was committed to upholding the constitution and national interests.
"And in defense cooperation, we have the principles of mutual benefit and mutual respect," he said.
Sjafrie made this statement to clear up confusion about air traffic permits that had circulated in the public following the signing of the Major Defense Cooperation Partnership (MDCP) agreement between Indonesia and the US in April 2026.