Israel Demolishes West Bank Home of Palestinian Attacker
N/A • 17 February 2023 00:44
Israeli forces on Thursday demolished the home of the Palestinian man behind a deadly shooting in the occupied west bank, as tensions surge in the region over the Israeli government's policies and continued bloodshed. The Israeli military said the demolition was carried out after an Israeli court rejected appeals to spare the residence.
The home in the flashpoint west bank city of Hebron was demolished in a controlled explosion. A flash and then grey tufts of smoke were seen emerging from the apartment in the early morning hours.
Israel says home demolitions are meant to deter future attackers, but critics say they amount to collective punishment against the families of assailants and only exacerbate tensions with Palestinians.
In the fatal shooting incident last year, Muhammed Kamel al-Jabari opened fire at the entrance to an Israeli settlement in the occupied west bank killing an Israeli man and wounding several civilians before a security guard shot him dead.
The demolition comes as unrest has been roiling the region for months, Israel has been conducting near-nightly arrest raids in the west bank, which were prompted by a spate of Palestinian attacks against Israelis last spring.
Nearly 50 Palestinians have been killed in those lands just this year, a sign that the fighting has intensified in recent weeks just as Israel's new, far-right government has risen to power.